SAN FRANCISCO (TheStreet) -- Medivation (MDVN) and partner Astellas are stopping early a large phase III study of their prostate cancer drug Xtandi because patients are living significantly longer, the companies announced Tuesday.
With positive results from the phase III "Prevail" study, Medivation and Astellas will seek FDA and European approval to expand use of Xtandi to treat men with advanced prostate cancer who have not yet received chemotherapy. This so-called "pre-chemo" prostate cancer patient population has the potential to turn Xtandi into a blockbuster drug.
Medivation shares rise 9% to $54.40 in pre-market trading.
Based on an interim analysis of the Prevail study, prostate cancer patients treated with Xtandi had a 30% reduction in the risk of death compared to patients treated with a placebo. The survival benefit was statistically significant.
By comparison, Johnson & Johnson's (JNJ) competing prostate cancer drug Zytiga demonstrated a 21% reduction in the risk of death in a similar phase III study.Xtandi also demonstrated a statistically significant 81% reduction in the risk of tumor progression or death compared to placebo, Medivation and Astellas said. An independent data monitoring committee advised the companies to stop the study early due to the benefit derived from treatment with Xtandi. All patients treated with a placebo will now be offered Xtandi. -- Reported by Adam Feuerstein in Boston. Follow @AdamFeuerstein X
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV