Forest Laboratories, Inc. (NYSE:FRX), an international pharmaceutical manufacturer and marketer, today announced that reported diluted earnings per share equaled $0.26 in the second quarter of fiscal 2014. Reported diluted earnings per share in the second quarter of fiscal 2013 were $0.08. Excluding acquisition related amortization and specified items, non-GAAP EPS in the second fiscal quarter of 2014 equaled $0.36 compared with $0.15 per share in the second quarter of fiscal 2013.
Chief Executive Officer and President
"There is rejuvenation underway at Forest as we return to growth. We have a motivated and talented workforce, we are launching new products and we are developing new drugs to drive future growth. This quarter sales increased 17% and non-GAAP earnings per share more than doubled," said Brent Saunders, CEO & President. "To make Forest more relevant to all of our key stakeholders - customers & patients; owners; partners and colleagues - we are conducting a thorough review of our business operations and evaluating changes to our strategy."
Product Sales PerformanceNet sales for the quarter increased 17.3% to $811.4 million, from $692.0 million in the prior year quarter. The increase in sales was driven by sales of the Company’s next generation products which totaled $303.0 million, an increase of 49.9% compared with the second quarter of fiscal 2013. Namenda franchise sales increased $40.3 million or 11.0% compared with the second quarter of fiscal 2013. Central Nervous System Franchise
- Namenda® (memantine HCl), an NMDA receptor antagonist for the treatment of moderate to severe Alzheimer’s disease, recorded sales of $396.3 million during the quarter, an increase of 7.8% from last year’s second quarter. Namenda XR™ (once-daily memantine HCl), recorded sales of $11.5 million during the quarter. Namenda XR was launched in June 2013 and recorded sales of $14.0 million during the fiscal 2014 first quarter. Pursuant to the requirements of a Pediatric Written Request from the FDA, the Company has conducted clinical studies to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of memantine in the treatment of autism.
- Viibryd® (vilazodone HCl), a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) and a partial agonist at serotonergic 5-HT 1A receptors for the treatment of adults with major depressive disorder, recorded sales of $47.4 million during the quarter, an increase of 18.9% from last year’s second quarter.
- Daliresp® (roflumilast), a PDE4 enzyme inhibitor for the treatment to reduce the risk of exacerbations in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), recorded sales of $24.5 million for the quarter, an increase of 25.4% from last year’s second quarter.
- Tudorza® (aclidinium bromide inhalation powder), an anticholinergic indicated for the long-term maintenance treatment of bronchospasm associated with COPD, recorded sales of $16.7 million during the quarter. Tudorza was launched in December 2012 and recorded sales of $15.9 million during the fiscal 2014 first quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV