How Lexus Is Beating the Germans With the IS350
My growing obsession with being in the car, driving fast, with the radio cranked loud, was probably not healthy. Nor was my growing penchant for weaving in and out of traffic on the highway, driving with a saucy, catch-me-if-you-can attitude that surprised even me.
The cost of traffic tickets would likely have bankrupted me.Having so much fun driving fast, however, was just one part of the problem with my test vehicle. My growing obsession with simply driving the car all the time was the other. Not only does the 2014 Lexus IS350 go from zero to 60 in 5.6 seconds, it's also a luxurious and well-designed vehicle that's fun and very accessible for first-time sports car drivers. It hugs the road and speeds powerfully up hills while spoiling you with leather seats, an incredibly cool multimedia entertainment system that includes a big, high-resolution screen on the dashboard, a Sirius XM (SIRI) radio receiver, and (if you choose the upgrade) an 835-watt Mark Levinson premium surround sound audio system with 15 speakers. My test vehicle also included Bluetooth, dual-zone climate control, an industry-first subscription-free real-time traffic and weather information package and a drive mode select system that allows you to switch between "Normal" and "Sport S" drive options depending on your mood. With all these cool toys to play with, my mornings became an exercise in a whole new form of creativity: wracking my brain trying to find excuses to drive places I would otherwise probably not have gone. (HMC) owner most of my life, and now I drive an even less sporty Prius. The IS350 is my first experience behind the wheel of a sporty, luxury car. But in many ways that's exactly who Lexus is aiming for with this new model.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV