5 Reasons Halloween Isn't for Kids Anymore
Dreamworks Animation (DWA) might throw parents a Shrek Halloween special every so often, Laika likes to pitch out a seasonally appropriate story such as Paranorman or Coraline and even Disney (DIS) gave kids The Nightmare Before Christmas.
But you know what Hollywood really loves around Halloween? A movie kids under 13 can't go to. The Saw franchise made nearly $416 million by releasing seven films before Halloween from 2004 through 2010 -- all rated R. Adjusted for inflation, the entire Halloween series of slasher films brought in more than $600 million from pre-Halloween releases from 1978 through 2007. Again, it's an R-rated franchise.The horror genre and its many incarnations have helped shift pop culture's Halloween sensibilities from the relatively harmless Universal monsters and cartoonish depictions of ghouls, ghosts and witches to a bloody, scream-filled chamber of fear. For roughly 35 years, it's paid off. Since the release of the original Halloween in 1978, slasher films alone have made more than $2.3 billion in the U.S. alone, according to BoxOfficeMojo. That's not adjusting for inflation, either. Michael Meyers, Freddy, Jason, Leatherface and the creepy girls from The Ring and The Grudge have firmly planted their stake -- among other pointy, bloodied implements -- on Halloween, and they and their ilk are going to require parental guidance and dollars for the foreseeable future. -- Written by Jason Notte in Portland, Ore. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV