5 Reasons Halloween Isn't for Kids Anymore
A few years back we peeked into Halloween parties in Greenwich Village, New Orleans, Key West, Maui and Salem, Mass. What did we find? A whole lot of hedonism, debauchery and generally fun times, but a noticeable absence of kids.
The Greenwich Village Halloween Parade is comparably tame by the standards of the events listed above, but even that event counts children as less than 10% of last year's estimated 2 million attendees. Maui's Lahina Halloween has a children's parade before sundown, but the big draw is blocked-off Front Street and the scantily clad, bead-throwing crowd that gathers when the sun goes down.Diageo just outright sponsors Key West's Fantasy Fest, which brings 60,000 to 70,000 unrestrained revelers into town for parades, burlesque shows, wet T-shirt contests, fetish parties and costume balls hosted by porn stars. According to Fantasy Fest producer The Market Share Co., Monroe County's revenue jumps to $5 million during Fantasy Fest as more than 60 events fill Key West's bars, hotels and restaurants. Adults will pay big money to kick back, act slightly less than their age and do so without kids present. As a result, sponsors and cities will do just about everything they can to put together an adult-oriented event no one would dare drag a kid to.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV