5 Reasons Halloween Isn't for Kids Anymore
Trick-or-treating the liquor store
How important has Halloween become to the beer industry? Important enough that Jack-O-Lantern-clad, pumpkin-based seasonal beers such as Southern Tier Pumking, Midnight Sun T.R.E.A.T. and New Belgium Pumpkick can be seen on shelves before Labor Day.
According to market research group Symphony IRI, seasonal beer sales have jumped between 15% and 26% since 2009, even as overall shipments declined. Big brewers Anheuser-Busch InBev (BUD) and MolsonCoors (TAP)/SABMiller joint venture MillerCoors have started offering pumpkin selections as part of their Michelob and Blue Moon lines, while Boston Beer (SAM) offers a couple of pumpkin beers under its Samuel Adams brand.Meanwhile, the overall wine, beer and spirits industry views Halloween as second only to New Year's Day or the Super Bowl -- depending on which company representative you ask. Diageo (DEO), maker of Captain Morgan rum, has had no problem pairing its pirate pitchman with Halloween promotions. Captain Morgan costumes are in high supply on eBay (EBAY), while fans of Dos Equis' "Most Interesting Man In The World" are left to their own devices to make their booze-soaked Halloween costume wish come true.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV