5 Reasons Halloween Isn't for Kids Anymore
PORTLAND, Ore. ( TheStreet) -- If you settle down and watch It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown this year, it may be the best way to get a glimpse of the rarest of holiday sights: children enjoying Halloween.
We're not implying that the streets will somehow be devoid of kids in costume carrying their pillowcases from door to door and collecting treats. We're just saying that it's a safe bet that for every kid you see dressed as a Disney (DIS) princess or as a comic book hero, you're going to see one or more adults dressed as a twerking Miley Cyrus, Breaking Bad chemistry teacher-turned-meth-dealer Walter White or a sexy version of something fairly benign.
This isn't exactly a revelation. For the past few decades, parents have been more likely to see photos of their college-aged dressed up for the holiday that to see their elementary schooler making monster-face cookies or carving up a pumpkin. It's just a fact of life, and one U.S. businesses have been more than happy to adapt to.
As Halloween's popularity has grown among adults, an expanding number of adult-oriented events, costumes and treats have made their way onto the market and shifted the nation's attention to the hours after most of the holiday's former core audience is asleep. This means a whole lot more revenue for not only retailers, but for beer and liquor companies and tourist destinations as well.As kids see more restrictions on where they can go, what they can do, what treats they can eat and how late they can stay out, their parents and their grown-up friends are watching their options expand. We've found five reasons why kids should be ranting like Charlie Brown's sister Sally about the injustice of a Halloween industry that's increasingly passing them over like the mythical Great Pumpkin. Sit back, grab a pumpkin ale and see how what was once a kids holiday has grown up:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV