James Dennin, Kapitall: Looking ahead to earnings reports this week, we found some lesser-known stocks that might be worth considering.
[Read more on earnings season from Kapitall: 5 Tech Stocks to Watch after Earnings Warnings]
Parts of the financial sector are likely reeling from the announcement of JPMorgan's (JPM) record-breaking settlement, coupled with its first quarterly loss in almost a decade. But the market overall has much to look forward too, as many broad economic indicators from recent weeks have been pretty positive.Consumer sentiment remained unshaken by the government shutdown. And the stock market actually performed decently well throughout the whole ordeal, in no small part due to the announcement of Janet Yellen's appointment as the next Federal Reserve Chair. Still, everyone is going to have an eye on the latest earnings and revenue reports for the most recent quarter. This week alone, hundreds of companies are reporting their earnings. Earnings week is the most volatile time of the year for the stock market, as a single report can have a huge effect on a company's stock price. Part of this has to do with intensified media coverage, but part of it also stems from institutional activity. Earnings season is often when institutional investors will re-evaluate their positions in certain companies. All this extra activity can often translate into a lot more movement. Investing ideas We decided to run a screen on stocks with earnings reports this week, in case our readers are looking to ride the wave of fall earnings. Among an initial universe of almost 300 stocks reporting this week, we wanted to look for signs of increasing profitability, and also possible signs of companies that are undervalued.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV