W. R. Berkley Corporation (NYSE:WRB) today reported net income for the third quarter of 2013 of $137 million, or 97 cents per share, compared with $101 million, or 71 cents per share, for the third quarter of 2012.
Summary Financial Data
(Amounts in thousands, except per share data)
|Third Quarter||Nine Months|
|Gross premiums written||$||1,667,106||$||1,494,724||$||4,916,663||$||4,327,170|
|Net premiums written||1,423,625||1,275,887||4,142,489||3,670,404|
|Net income per diluted share||0.97||0.71||2.62||2.41|
|Operating income (1)||108,460||86,136||310,925||283,360|
|Operating income per diluted share||0.77||0.61||2.20||1.98|
|Return on equity (2)||12.7||%||10.2||%||11.4||%||11.6||%|
(1) Operating income is a non-GAAP financial measure defined by the Company as net income excluding after-tax net investment gains and after-tax debt extinguishment costs.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts