Revenue net of interest expense increased $67 million, up 3% from the prior year due to loan growth and lower funding costs.
Net interest margin was 9.65%, up 26 basis points from the prior year. The increase in net interest margin from the prior year reflects decreased funding costs partially offset by lower loan yield. Credit card yield was 12.00%, a decrease of 14 basis points from the prior year. The decline in credit card yield from the prior year reflects an increase in promotional rate balances and a decline in higher rate balances, partially offset by lower interest charge-offs. Interest expense as a percent of total loans decreased 39 basis points from the prior year as the company continued to take advantage of available low rate funding.
Net interest income increased $122 million, or 9%, from the prior year, benefiting from loan growth and lower interest expense, which was partially offset by a decline in loan yield.
Other income decreased $55 million, or 10%, from the prior year due to lower direct mortgage related income and the inclusion of a $26 million gain on sale of a minority investment in the prior year.The delinquency rate for credit card loans over 30 days past due was 1.67%, an improvement of 16 basis points from the prior year, and an increase of 9 basis points from the prior quarter. Credit card net charge-off rate for the third quarter was 2.05%, down 29 basis points from the prior year and prior quarter. The student loan net charge-off rate excluding PCI loans was 1.33%, up 59 basis points from the prior year due to a larger portion of the portfolio entering repayment and down 25 basis points from the prior quarter due to seasonality. Strong growth in personal loans resulted in the net charge-off rate decreasing by 8 basis points from the prior year and 23 basis points from the prior quarter to 2.01%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV