Data from the Walgreens (WAG) 2013 Flu Impact Report show U.S. adults missed 230 million days of work in the 2012-13 flu season. That translated into a $30.4 billion hit for the economy, triple the $10.5 billion lost from flu issues in 2010-11.
Employees lost $8.5 billion due to flu-related sick days, the report says.
Walgreens says December was the worst month for flu illnesses in years, but it's not always possible to gauge, year to year, the exact worst time for flu activity.flu season is always unpredictable, and the impact it can have on individuals and families at home and in the workplace can be significant," says Harry Leider, Walgreens' chief medical officer. "Last year, with flu peaking early, a lot of people weren't prepared and as a result lost vacations and missed out on holidays. This underscores the importance of getting a flu shot early, and our report shows more people are planning to do so, along with taking other preventive measures this year." If the past flu season was any indication, here's what Americans can expect this year:
- Workers can expect to miss three days of work because of the flu.
- 6.2 million people could miss a business trip, like last year.
- 75% of Americans say they will be "personally impacted" by a flu experience this year.
- 17 million Americans may miss holiday-related events.
- 87% are washing their hands more regularly.
- 51% are getting an early flu shot.
- 43% are "limiting time in public places."
- 11% are working from home more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV