NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- With all the digital technology and social media in today's world, is it time to take a break? TheStreet's Jim Cramer consults MainStreet's Ross Kenneth Urken and Nicole Urken, "Mad Money" research director, about a "digital detox."
Ross Kenneth Urken suggested that the detox may be a good idea, citing a recent study in Britain that revealed people between the ages of 18 and 30 could not sit still without checking their phones.
Nicole Urken said that there needs to be a balance between work lives and regular lives, adding that even when they're on vacation, people can't seem to disconnect.
She also said that social media can be relaxing at times, and overwhelming at others.Although Cramer did argue that there needs to be some down time, he admitted that he enjoyed watching the National Football League's Philadelphia Eagles game when he was in Mexico recently. Even Randi Zuckerberg, sister of Facebook (FB) CEO Mark Zuckerberg, wrote a children's book titled Dot about the importance of being outside in the sun as opposed to being glued to a tablet. Ross Kenneth Urken added that very young children tap magazines or books expecting the pages to turn the way they do on a tablet. Nicole concluded that a lot of parents are scrambling to figure out how to raise their children in the digital age. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust, is long FB.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV