US Navy Celebrates 238 Years This Month in Rough Seas
U.S. Attorneys have an incredibly high batting average, and charges almost always result in a conviction. In light of a high-ranking officer's career being on the line, I imagine an even greater amount of confidence was required by prosecutors before the decision to pull the trigger was made.
This month, the Navy celebrates 238 years since the original Continental Navy sailed and fired cannons at His Majesty's Ships. After the Revolutionary War ended, the U.S. decommissioned and sold the few Navy ships in service, and it took almost 10 years and losses from piracy to bring the Navy out of retirement.
The piracy response included three wooden-hulled frigates. Amazingly, one of original ships, the USS Constitution remains in active duty to this day. The movie Captain Phillips is a reminder the more things change, the more they stay the same. In 212 years since the U.S.-flagged ships sailed to halt piracy, the officers and sailors continue to protect our nation's interests.
Because of their dedication, we can focus on celebrating the Navy's birthday even with an occasional stormy sky. I'm sure it will be "haze gray and underway" for another 238 years.Follow @RobertWeinstein This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV