Trade-Ideas: Acacia Research Coroporation (ACTG) Is Today's "Dead Cat Bounce" Stock
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified Acacia Research Coroporation (ACTG) as a "dead cat bounce" (down big yesterday but up big today) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Acacia Research Coroporation as such a stock due to the following factors:
- ACTG has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $20.9 million.
- ACTG has traded 532,774 shares today.
- ACTG is up 3.1% today.
- ACTG was down 21.1% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in ACTG with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for ACTG NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on ACTG: Acacia Research Corporation, through its subsidiaries, acquires, develops, licenses, and enforces patented technologies in the United States. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.2%. Currently there are 2 analysts that rate Acacia Research Coroporation a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold.The average volume for Acacia Research Coroporation has been 586,100 shares per day over the past 30 days. Acacia Research Coroporation has a market cap of $1.1 billion and is part of the services sector and diversified services industry. The stock has a beta of 1.43 and a short float of 8.3% with 3.03 days to cover. Shares are down 10.8% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Acacia Research Coroporation as a hold. Among the primary strengths of the company is its solid financial position based on a variety of debt and liquidity measures that we have evaluated. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- ACTG has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 8.01, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- ACACIA RESEARCH CORP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ACACIA RESEARCH CORP increased its bottom line by earning $1.28 versus $0.54 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.43 versus $1.28).
- ACTG, with its very weak revenue results, has greatly underperformed against the industry average of 12.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues plummeted by 54.2%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Professional Services industry and the overall market, ACACIA RESEARCH CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $1.28 million or 91.15% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full Acacia Research Coroporation Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV