Pennsylvania American Water announced today the launch of the “Community Investment Challenge,” a contest that will let voters on the company’s Facebook page determine grant awards to support environmental projects and community improvement programs. To be eligible, organizations must submit projects that will take place within Pennsylvania American Water service areas in 2014.
The top three projects receiving the most votes on the company’s Facebook contest page will receive awards of $1,000 (first-place), $700 (second-place) and $300 (third place). Projects planned for 2014 in Pennsylvania American Water’s service areas should fit the following criteria to be eligible.
- Water and the Environment: Innovative, community-based environmental projects that improve, restore or protect watersheds and communities’ surface and groundwater.
- Water and Healthy Living: Efforts that contribute to healthy communities by promoting safe water and sanitation, educating the public on the health benefits of water and encouraging good hygiene practices.
- Environmental Education: Educational programs that provide information about water conservation, water and wastewater treatment, the water cycle, watershed protection and the environment.
- Community Sustainability: Projects that meet a definitive, sustainable community need, preferably aligned with the company’s core business, and enrich the lives of the residents who live and work in communities served by Pennsylvania American Water.
“We hope to engage civic, non-profit, environmental and educational groups that are planning innovative and meaningful projects to enhance the communities we serve. By mobilizing voters through their social networks, the organizations could earn grant money to help support those projects,” said Pennsylvania American Water Director of Communications and External Affairs Terry M. Maenza.
Interested organizations can submit projects online for consideration by visiting Pennsylvania American Water’s website ( www.pennsylvaniaamwater.com). The application link can be found under the About Us drop-down menu, select Community Involvement, on the Community Programs page at http://www.amwater.com/paaw/about-us/community-involvement/programs.html.Starting November 8, 2013, visitors to Pennsylvania American Water’s Facebook Contest Page ( www.amwater.com/facebook/pa) can read about the Community Investment Challenge entries and vote for their favorite one. The deadline for voting is December 8, 2013. Awards will be announced in early December. Maenza said, “The Community Investment Challenge is the latest example of Pennsylvania American Water supporting worthwhile community-based projects that align with our core business. We strongly believe in working with our local partners to develop sustainable solutions and promote environmental stewardship.”
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts