Hurricane Sandy: Hoboken, One Year Later
Today, Hoboken is a far cry from where it was just eight months ago, after the Hoboken PATH station, which carries passengers between Hoboken and the World Trade Center and 33rd St station stops in New York City, became fully operational.
Ground-floor apartments that were flooded beyond belief are now back to normal, though some renters and homeowners still have claims with insurance companies outstanding. The countless images and stories about property damage have now been replaced with a new boardwalk, new landscaping and countless joggers down on the pier.
The destruction caused by the wind and flooding made Hoboken look like a warzone area, not an affluent northern New Jersey city 10 minutes from Manhattan. Now, it's all just a memory, almost surreal in nature.
Following the storm, which happened on the eve of Oct. 29, 2012, Hoboken became a ghost town. Many of the residents left for days (myself included), seeking to stay with friends or family until power returned. Despair had set in on the remaining residents' faces, and stories of hardship were the soundtrack of the otherwise silent city.The National Guard, FEMA, and Red Cross set up shop in lower Hoboken, becoming tenants as important as the pizza shops, boutiques and many bars on Washington Street, Hoboken's main strip.
|National Guard in Hoboken in late 2012|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV