PARIS, Oct. 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU), is helping Telenet, Belgium's leading cable broadband provider, meet the ever-expanding video and data demands of its customers - as well as preparing for future increases in demand – by deploying the world's most powerful IP (Internet Protocol) Core Router, the 7950 Extensible Routing System (XRS).
Core routers direct the data traffic at the heart of a network, handling Terabits of data per second. The Alcatel-Lucent 7950 XRS provides up to five times the capacity of other core routers on the market, enabling operators like Telenet to meet the demands of bandwidth-hungry video, cloud and high-speed wireless services and applications. At the same time, the system consumes 66% less energy than other core routers available today, supporting Telenet's commitment to reduce its ecological footprint.
- Telenet is the leading cable operator in Belgium, and the first multi-system operator (MSO) in Europe to deploy the groundbreaking Alcatel-Lucent 7950 XRS core router.
- The 7950 XRS will prepare Telenet for the next decade of demand-growth from both residential and enterprise customers, supporting the explosion of video traffic created by high definition content, on-demand viewing and multi-screen delivery the widespread use of smart-phones and tablets, and the rapid adoption of 'cloud' applications.
- The system delivers significant operational cost savings by reducing requirements for physical footprint and power consumption, requiring only a single watt to switch a Gigabit per second worth of traffic. Featuring an extremely efficient thermal design to for cooling, the XRS can save reduce footprint and power costs by 50 percent over a five-year period of network growth.
- The XRS is a key element in The Shift Plan, Alcatel-Lucent's industrial strategy to become a specialist vendor of IP Networking and Ultra-Broadband Access.
Quotes:Bert Pelgrims, Manager Network & Data Services Engineering, said: "Our customers are looking for high-quality experiences that are personalized, instantaneously shared and can be virtually stored and conveniently accessed anytime, anywhere and on any device. To do this we knew we needed a core network that could handle the massively increasing load from bandwidth hungry services and applications being used by our customers. We chose Alcatel-Lucent because the 7950 XRS is field-proven to provide the experiences our customers have come to expect and deserve." Luis Martinez Amago, President Europe, Middle East and Africa of Alcatel-Lucent, said: "We have a long-standing relationship with Telenet when it comes to our IP routers. Telenet was the first customer worldwide to deploy our ground-breaking 7750 Service Router and it is once again placing trust and confidence in our innovative technology by deploying our core routing system to increase the capacity of their network." Additional resources:
- Product web site: http://bit.ly/12MByki
- Photos: Alcatel-Lucent 7950 XRS family: http://bit.ly/Z3c4ib
- General ALU Flickr link: http://bit.ly/Z3cKEg
- Videos, slides and more from the Annual Tech Symposium: http://bit.ly/12qhhW7
- Blog: Alcatel-Lucent's New Core Router: off to a big start http://bit.ly/Vnibkj