The simple fact is you can't live in fear of 1929 or 1987, regardless of what charts someone posts in their similarities. Even if you hate this market, stay flexible to taking some short-term long-side plays while waiting for the bearish catalyst to finally show some teeth and find some footing.
Parsing the Beige Book
Originally published on Wednesday, Oct. 16 at 2:29 p.m. EDT.
In the Fed's Beige Book, the economy was described as expanding "at a modest to moderate pace," which covered the period of September through early October, thus capturing a few weeks of the partial government shutdown.Here are some relevant comments from the release:
- Consumer spending continued to increase and activity in the travel and tourism sector expanded in most Districts.
- Business spending grew modestly in most districts.
- Employment growth remained modest in September. Several Districts reported that contacts were cautious to expand payrolls, citing uncertainty surrounding the implementation of the Affordable Care Act (Obama care) and fiscal policy more generally.
- Demand for nonfinancial services rose and manufacturing activity also expanded modestly.
- Residential construction continued to increase at a moderate pace. By comparison, non-residential construction again expanded at a slower rate.
- Residential and CRE activity varied across districts, but largely continued to improve.
- Financial conditions were little changed on balance, with lending activity remaining modest in most Districts.
- Price and wage pressures were again limited.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV