What You're Really Paying for That Beer
Kegs (15.5 gallons)
This is the idea that keeps Costco (COST) afloat: The inherent value in buying in bulk.
You look at the unit price of beer in a keg and it only compounds what a simp you are for paying so much for pints drawn from one. A keg of Bud Light at our local bottle shop is selling for $79, not including deposit. That is a $2.87 six-pack and a clear win for anyone who loves themselves a clear, inoffensive light lager.Even as you ascend into craft beers, the math works out in a drinker's favor. A $186 keg of Green Flash IPA? That's a $6.75 six-pack that flat out doesn't exist. A $204 keg of North Coast's Old Rasputin Imperial Stout? That is $7.40 a six=pack for a beer that could easily fetch more than double that if it came in such packaging. Again, however, the problem is logistics. If you're just throwing a Bronco hand-pump tap on it like the one you used to use for house parties, prepare to ruin some perfectly good beer. A keg needs refrigeration, carbonation (or nitrogenation, in some cases) and some regular demand. The technical aspects are investments in themselves, while that demand requires a lot of commitment to any one beer over a long period. If you have the means, the setup and the stable of favorite beers, this is easily the way to go. If you just turned green at the thought of putting down more than 15 gallons of anything, maybe you should take it a six-pack at a time. -- Written by Jason Notte in Portland, Ore. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV