What You're Really Paying for That Beer
The 16-ounce bar pint
Here in the U.S., we just call it a pint. It's that ubiquitous, slanted, straight-sided tumbler that's great all-purpose barware, easy for bartenders and other staff to stack and clean and the bane of a beer snob's existence.
We won't go into the merits of the bulbous, 20-ounce imperial/Nonic pint or any other discussion of glassware, but we will let you in on the worst-kept secret in the beer world: That 16-ounce glass doesn't hold a pint. You're looking at 15 ounces of liquid at best, and that's largely dependent on the bartender's pour and your ability to avoid spillage.It is an awful deal and the price we pay for drinking socially out in that big, bad world beyond our front door. And there is almost no deal associated with it. If you find a place that serves $1 pints of the cheap stuff at happy hour, it comes in at less than $5 for a six-pack. That assumes, though, you'd pay $5 for a six-pack of a budget beer we already told you costs $15 per case. Get into the $4, $5 and $6 territory of premium, import and craft pints and you're suddenly looking at a $19 to $29 six-pack. The 15-ounce "pint" is the absolute least cost-effective means of buying beer. Economically, we're all fools for buying one. Yet most of us will strike this bargain every time.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV