NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- In another bruise to its balance sheet, JPMorgan Chase (JPM) has reportedly agreed to a tentative $4 billion settlement with the U.S. Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA), according to The Wall Street Journal. The deal would settle allegations the big bank misled Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, government-sponsored entities, on mortgages it sold them.
The final amount to be determined will be bundled with settlements already reached in claims against the bank from the Department of Justice. The figure could reach as high as $11 billion, according to media estimates.
A JPMorgan spokesman declined to comment.
Earlier in the month, JPMorgan reported an unexpected third-quarter loss of $380 million or 17 cents a share, mainly due to $7.2 billion in legal expenses accrued during the period.Shares closed slightly higher, gaining 0.17% in Friday trading to close at $54.30. TheStreet Ratings team rates JPMORGAN CHASE & CO as a Buy with a ratings score of B+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate JPMORGAN CHASE & CO (JPM) a BUY. This is driven by several positive factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, good cash flow from operations, compelling growth in net income, solid stock price performance and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: JPM Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV