The investment bank reported third-quarter earnings applicable to common shareholders of $888 million, or 44 cents a share, increasing from $803 million, or 43 cents a share in the second quarter, and a net loss of $1.047 billion, or 55 cents a share, in the third quarter of 2012, when the company recorded a $2.3 billion debit valuation adjustment (DVA).
But excluding DVA, Morgan Stanley's third-quarter revenue came to $8.1 billion, compared to $8.3 billion the previous quarter, and $7.6 billion a year earlier. That is a strong third-quarter revenue result, when considering the pressure on trading revenue reported by the company's largest competitors.
Adjusted third-quarter earnings were 50 cents a share, soundly beating the consensus estimate of 40 cents, according to Bloomberg."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV