Pennsylvania Governor Corbett Proclaims Oct. 20-26 As Teen Driver Safety Week
As a part of their obligation to help their children become responsible and safe drivers, parents and guardians should:
- Talk to teens about safe driving skills before they turn 16.
- Establish a parent/teen driving contract.
- Strongly encourage teens to avoid distractions behind the wheel.
- Limit the number of passengers teens are allowed to have in their vehicle.
- Limit dawn, dusk and nighttime driving until teens gain more experience, and enforce a curfew. Remember, state law prohibits 16- and 17-year-olds with a junior license from driving between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m.
- Gradually increase the amount of time and distance teens are allowed to drive.
- Enforce the need to obey speed limits and other rules of the road.
- Ride with their teens occasionally to monitor driving skills.
- Always set a good example.
PennDOT is proud to announce the availability of an additional, optional tool for parents and guardians to utilize in their education efforts: PennDOT's new "Teen Driver" plate. The plate features an inverted triangle in red, with the words "Teen Driver" appearing in yellow letters in the triangle. The phrase, "Please Be Courteous," is featured in blue letters on the sides of the triangle. The letters "T" and "D" appear vertically to the right of the symbol.
The plate is available for $20 and can be ordered by visiting www.dmv.state.pa.us.
For more information on young driver safety, visit PennDOT's highway safety website, www.JustDrivePA.com, and select the "Young Driver" link under the Traffic Safety Information Center.Media contacts: Jan McKnight, 717-787-0485 Editor's note: An image of the "Teen Driver" plate is available upon request. SOURCE Pennsylvania Department of Transportation
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts