Trade-Ideas: Cliffs Natural Resources (CLF) Is Today's "Storm The Castle" Stock
- CLF has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $154.5 million.
- CLF has traded 5.1 million shares today.
- CLF is trading at 3.10 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- CLF crossed above its 200-day simple moving average.
'Storm the Castle' stocks are worth watching because trading stocks that begin to experience a breakout can lead to potentially massive profits. Once psychological and technical resistance barriers like the 200-day moving average are breached on higher than normal relative volume, the stock is then free to find new buyers and momentum traders who can ultimately push the stock significantly higher. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize on. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in CLF with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for CLF NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on CLF: Cliffs Natural Resources Inc., a mining and natural resources company, engages in the production of iron ore pellets, fines and lump ore, and metallurgical coal. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.7%. Currently there is 1 analyst that rates Cliffs Natural Resources a buy, 3 analysts rate it a sell, and 11 rate it a hold. The average volume for Cliffs Natural Resources has been 8.0 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Cliffs Natural has a market cap of $3.3 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and metals & mining industry. The stock has a beta of 2.33 and a short float of 33.7% with 7.12 days to cover. Shares are down 43.3% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Cliffs Natural Resources as a hold. Among the primary strengths of the company is its generally strong cash flow from operations. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 330.66% to $414.30 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, CLIFFS NATURAL RESOURCES INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -11.86%.
- CLF, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 1.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 5.7%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- CLIFFS NATURAL RESOURCES INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CLIFFS NATURAL RESOURCES INC swung to a loss, reporting -$6.59 versus $11.34 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.67 versus -$6.59).
- The gross profit margin for CLIFFS NATURAL RESOURCES INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 27.71%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 9.80% trails that of the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 43.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $258.00 million to $146.00 million.
- You can view the full Cliffs Natural Resources Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts