Rebuilding In Lower Manhattan: The Changing Profile Of NYC's Lower East Side
Recent changes on the Lower East Side have made the neighborhood somewhat unrecognizable to some of its longstanding residents. Yet, community is being fostered in new and innovative ways, maybe more so than any other neighborhood in Manhattan. While middle-class and low-income residents are being pushed out of the rest of the city, the LES does not forget that it started as a community of immigrants and honors its diverse socio-economic and racial background. Unlike the boom in the other areas of Lower Manhattan, half of Essex Crossing's new residents will be low-income and, true to the history of change and development on the Lower East Side, will live alongside the new residents of higher-end apartments.
Joanna Samuels, the Executive Director of the Manny Cantor Center explains, "There are so many ways in which people are divided on the basis of their economic class…. But the Lower East Side is a special and unique neighborhood in its diversity. Our goal is to embrace that diversity, and to champion it. We hope that the Manny Cantor Center will be like a tent, whose stakes can be ever-expanded to welcome and celebrate this community's residents."
SOURCE The Educational Alliance
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV