The mix of iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c sales is the most important variable in the quarter, Huberty noted. She is assuming that the iPhone 5s, which has exceptionally strong margins, will account for 45% of all shipments, though she notes, "demand has been stronger than expected." For every 5% increase in 5s mix, Huberty notes it would add "$5 of ASP, 10bps of GM, and $0.16 of EPS."
For the quarter, she's expecting earnings of $14.30 a share on $55.6 billion in revenue, with gross margins coming in at 38.7%. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters are looking for earnings of $13.80 a share on $55.4 billion in revenue.
Outside of the earnings number catalysts, Huberty is exceptionally bullish on Apple over the next few months. The upcoming iPad refresh, which is slated to happen on Oct. 22, "would give the product line a much needed boost after shipments fell Y/Y for the first time ever in the Jun Q," she wrote. Cheaper iPhones, such as the 5c, or a discount to the iPhones, would help earnings. It's important to note that while Apple doesn't discount its new products, some retailers, including Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Target have been discounting the 5c.
Outside of hardware, Huberty notes that the new fingerprint sensor, TouchID, could herald new services to make the iOS ecosystem "even stickier and differentiated." The same could apply to iCloud Keychain and iBeacon, something akin to GPS for indoor locations. Apple acquired WiFi Slam, an indoor-GPS company , earlier this year for a reported $20 million.One more thing Huberty is bullish on: that little thing called the iWatch. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV