Free the Children and TELUS partner to inspire young people to give back with new smartphone app
VANCOUVER, Oct. 18, 2013 /CNW/ - Today, in front of 18,000 youth and educators at the youth empowerment and educational event We Day Vancouver, Free The Children and TELUS introduced We365, a first of its kind digital platform (in combination of functionality) for young people, making it easier than ever to make positive change in communities, locally and globally. We365 is a one-stop-shop for youth to take action, providing a central hub to collect and track volunteer hours, applaud and reward young world-changers, encourage social activism and help them connect with other like-minded, young individuals. For every sign-up from now until April 2014, Free The Children will immunize a child in its Adopt a Village communities overseas. Immunizations are crucial to preventing illnesses and enabling youth to grow up healthy and strong. In addition, every person who registers for We365 between September 20 and December 31, 2013, will be entered for a chance to win a $10,000 gift to their charity of choice* from TELUS.
"We reached out to individuals and organizations - ranging from youth and educators, to guidance counselors and local charities - gathering their valuable insight and feedback to ensure we were creating the right platform, accessible and functional to all," said Craig Kielburger, co-founder of Free The Children. "Together with TELUS, we created a space for young people to inspire and be inspired by other like-minded young people, 365 days a year. With TELUS' dedication towards helping us create a safe and positive online space, coupled with its innovative ideas and commitment to service, We365 is truly going to help revolutionize the way youth create positive change."
"Young people today have the commitment and passion to change the world. TELUS is excited to continue to build upon our existing partnership with Free The Children and our investment in youth through We365 - an innovative new platform that celebrates and nurtures a like-minded community spirit," said Jill Schnarr, Vice President of Community Affairs, TELUS. "Through We365, TELUS is combining the power of technology with the popularity of social media, and will engage kids with online challenges throughout the year, inviting them to take action to better their communities, in the process, giving them a chance to win access to exclusive events, as well as scholarships and charity grants."An initiative of Free The Children and TELUS, We365 is a free, cause-agnostic platform, available as a mobile app or online ( www.we365.com). Users can create personal profiles, enabling them to find friends or other like-minded individuals to connect with. For instance, students can log-in between classes and take 30 seconds to see what activities friends are engaged in, or 'like' a new cause or upload a photo of a fellow student organizing a bake sale for charity. What's more, users will have access to feature stories, videos and photographs that give life to the issues they care about most, seamlessly through the digital platform, courtesy of The Globe and Mail, We365's official Media Content partner in Canada. "The Globe and Mail is very pleased to be the official Canadian Media Content partner for We365," says John Stackhouse, editor-in-chief of The Globe and Mail. "With eight foreign bureaus, including a new bureau in Brazil, we are more committed than ever to bringing Canadians the stories that must be told, and to facilitating the discussions that must be had, to make positive change both locally and globally." We365 is easy to use with five key features:
- Causes & Challenges - We365 connects users with more than 60 causes they are passionate about, such as the environment, animal welfare, education and anti-bullying. Challenges are the actions users take to help support the causes they care most about.
- The Action Dial - this interactive dial allows users to take online and real-life challenges through photos, status updates or check-ins. Challenges range from simple daily online actions to weekly tasks with a real world impact. It can be as simple as posting a photo of a person picking up litter, donating lunch money, or volunteering at a local animal shelter.
- Volunteer Tracking - In recent years, many school boards have committed to service learning and volunteering to enrich the student experience. The Volunteer Tracking feature helps students, educators and organizations track and verify hours that can be leveraged to build their social impact portfolio for school purposes, résumés and university applications.
- Personal Fundraising Pages - Users can create personal fundraising pages for charities or causes they are most passionate about, with access to 85,000 registered charities in Canada. What's more, with special thanks to RBC, the new platform will empower financial literacy, supporting personal fundraising pages and providing relevant causes/challenges to help young people gain a stronger understanding of money matters.
- Gamification and Badges - Users are recognized by earning points for the completion of challenges, volunteer hours, and fundraising dollars. Users with high scores can be rewarded with badges that will be displayed on their profiles to celebrate their impact.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV