DRiP Investing also cites "dividend contenders" as companies that have paid and increased dividends for 10 to 24 years in a row. DRiP Investing lists 212 "contenders" and the following eight are REITs: National Retail Properties (NNN), Tanger Factory Outlets (SKT), Essex Property Trust (ESS), Realty Income (O), Urstadt Biddle Properties (UBA), WP Carey (WPC), National Health Investors (NHI) and Omega Healthcare Investors (OHI).
In my opinion, intelligent investors should consider REITs as a core food group. Because of the attractive dividends, the power of compounding offers an optimal investment model rooted by a disciplined practice that forces REIT investors to defend against what Ben Graham described as "squandering and squirreling" away of precious cash flow. That means that your money is always working hard for you and "that most persuasive test of high-quality" is simply an "uninterrupted record of dividend payments." In conclusion, REITs are becoming increasingly main-stream and that's why they deserve to be more than a snack food but instead a "sleep well at night" alternative that is powered by the "breakfast of champions" known as increasing dividends.
At the time of publication the author held positions in O, ARCP, STAG, CSG, GPT, VTR, HTA, UMH, ROIC, DLR.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV