Trade-Ideas: Amazon.com (AMZN) Is Today's Pre-Market Leader Stock
- AMZN has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $768.7 million.
- AMZN traded 26,746 shares today in the pre-market hours as of 7:44 AM.
- AMZN is up 2.7% today from Friday's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in AMZN with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for AMZN NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on AMZN: Amazon.com, Inc. operates as an online retailer in North America and internationally. The company operates in two segments, North America and International. Currently there are 24 analysts that rate Amazon.com a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 9 rate it a hold. The average volume for Amazon.com has been 2.5 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Amazon.com has a market cap of $143.5 billion and is part of the services sector and retail industry. The stock has a beta of 0.52 and a short float of 2.2% with 3.35 days to cover. Shares are up 25.2% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Amazon.com as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- AMZN's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 17.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 22.4%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.35, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels.
- Looking at where the stock is today compared to one year ago, we find that it is not only higher, but it has also clearly outperformed the rise in the S&P 500 over the same period, despite the company's weak earnings results. Looking ahead, our view is that this company's fundamentals will not have much impact in either direction, allowing the stock to generally move up or down based on the push and pull of the broad market.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Internet & Catalog Retail industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 200.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $7.00 million to -$7.00 million.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Internet & Catalog Retail industry and the overall market, AMAZON.COM INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Amazon.com Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.