1. California Bay Area Hackathon: Level the Coding Field"This hackathon allows us to expose a large number of kids in a weekend to computer science, and get them excited about a different path in life and a different set of opportunities," said Sumaiya Talukdar, Director of Strategic Partnerships of the Level Playing Field Institute.
Silicon Valley Bank partnered with Vivek Wadhwa of Singularity University, AT&T, The Kapor Center for Social Impact and Datawind to devise and deliver two weekend-long hackathons hosted by the Level Playing Field Institute in the Bay Area this fall. More than 250 6-12 graders from low income and minority groups underrepresented in computer science will compete to win cash prizes for the best app, judged by a panel of investors, technologists and educators. Each participating student will also receive a free Datawind Ubislate 3G Tablet, courtesy of Silicon Valley Bank and three months of a 1 GB Wireless Data Plan, courtesy of AT&T. Events will be held on October 26-27 at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View and November 16-17 at Connexion at Jack London Place in Oakland.
To get involved, contact Level Playing Field Institute for volunteer opportunities and information. Follow the event on Twitter with #levelcodingfield
2. Virginia: Computer Coding CompetitionVirginia Advanced Study Strategies is partnering with CodeAcademy, TeamTreehouse, and several foundations and businesses throughout Virginia to introduce middle and high school students to computer coding. Students will be given access to computer application development software and challenged to build a working computer app. Those who are successful within the timeframe of a school semester will be recognized in January 2014 for their success, earn a digital badge for their career portfolio, and given a Datawind Ubislate 3G Tablet.Follow VASS on Facebook and Twitter. About Silicon Valley Bank Banking the world's most innovative companies and exclusive wineries, SVB's diverse financial services, knowledge, global network, and world class service increase our clients' probability of success. With $23 billion in assets and more than 1,600 employees, we provide commercial, international and private banking through 33 locations worldwide. In 2012, Forbes Magazine ranked SVB among America's Best Banks and Fortune named SVB one of the best places to work. (Nasdaq: SIVB) www.svb.com. Silicon Valley Bank is the California bank subsidiary and the commercial banking operation of SVB Financial Group. Banking services are provided by Silicon Valley Bank, a member of the FDIC and the Federal Reserve System. SVB Financial Group is also a member of the Federal Reserve System. SOURCE Silicon Valley Bank
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts