3 Businesses That Are Changing the World for Women
SAN DIEGO (TheStreet) -- This week in San Francisco, nearly 400 people gathered at The Intercontinental Hotel for the second annual 3% Conference.
The goal of the conference, and the growing 3% Movement started by Kat Gordon, is to bring together members of the advertising world for a national conversation about how to increase the number of female leaders in advertising agencies.
In April, in New York City, 150 people filled the 3 West Club for the first annual Mom Gets a Business conference, which former banking executive Patty Lennon founded to help mothers create wealth through starting their own businesses from home.The New York event is just the latest offering from Lennon, who in 2011 began Mom Gets a Life to help mothers increase their financial power and learn to make taking care of themselves a priority. "Women and their relationship to making money is one of the most powerful shifts that needs to happen right now," Lennon says. "Voting was initially how power was created among women, because it was the politicians who decided things. Money decides things now. So if women are going to have power in the decisions that are affecting our world, we must have money." Gordon and Lennon are just two examples of women entrepreneurs starting businesses aimed at helping other women move into positions of power or earn more. Women helping other women is hardly a new trend. But the ways they find to help each other is evolving, adapting to the times and the challenges women face in 2013. Women are trying to juggle motherhood and careers. They are trying to run successful businesses of their own, keep up with technology and address problems plaguing the planet in ways that feel meaningful to them, and many are still trying to break through the corporate glass ceiling.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV