While I do believe that the worst is over, we will get a better view of the company's overall direction when Halliburton reports its third-quarter earnings results Monday. We will also get confirmation as to whether these recent price targets are justified. The Street will be looking for earnings-per-share of 82 cents on revenue of $7.5 billion, which would represent revenue growth of 5.5%.
More importantly, after posting 14% growth in international markets in the July quarter, I want to see how well Halliburton is able to maintain that level of improvement. With roughly half of the company's business originating from North America, accounting for two-thirds of its profits), the importance of better global diversification can't be overstated.
Management understands the importance of establishing a larger footprint overseas. But so does Schlumberger and Baker Hughes. Having said all that, it's still tough to bet against Halliburton's strong position in things like production enhancements and offshore tools.
I'm not going to jump into this stock today, but I can see the appeal, especially since management recently announced a $3.3 billion stock buyback. Outside of all of that, the stock seems fairly valued.At the time of publication, the author held no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @saintssense This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV