The company early Thursday reported third-quarter earnings available to common shareholders of $421 million, or 47 cents a share, compared to $582 million, or 65 cents a share, in the second quarter, and $354 million, or 38 cents a share, in the third quarter of 2012.
As usual, Fifth Third's numbers included extraordinary items, with the third-quarter results boosted by an $85 million benefit on the sales of shares of Vantiv (VNTV), which came to $55 million after tax, or 6 cents a share.
As expected, Fifth Third reported a sharp drop in mortgage banking net revenue to $121 million in the third quarter, from $233 million the previous quarter and $200 million a year earlier.A partial offset to the revenue drop was a decline in credit expenses. The bank's third-quarter provision for loan and lease losses was $51 million, declining from $64 million the previous quarter and $65 million a year earlier. Jefferies analyst Ken Usdin in a note to clients said Fifth-Third's operating earnings for the third quarter appeared "closer to $0.43, excluding one-timers," which he called a "solid beat" of the consensus EPS estimate of 42 cents, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. Usdin wrote that Fifth Third's "expenses look good," since core expenses were down $55 million sequentially, excluding a $30 million litigation charge. The analyst rates Fifth Third a "buy," with a price target of $21.00. Please see TheStreet's earnings coverage for more on Fifth Third's results.
Broad Market Strong Following Washington DramaThe broad indices ended mixed, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV