Another under-$10 name in the bio therapeutic space that's starting to move within range of triggering a major breakout trade is BioCryst Pharmaceuticals (BCRX), which designs, optimizes and develops novel drugs that block key enzymes involved in cancer, viral infections and autoimmune diseases. This stock has been on fire so far in 2013, with shares up a whopping 380%.
If you take a look at the chart for BioCryst Pharmaceuticals, you'll notice that this stock recently formed a double bottom chart pattern at $6.07 to $6.24 a share. Following that bottom, shares of BCRX are now starting to spike higher right off its 50-day moving average of $6.50 a share. That spike is quickly pushing shares of BCRX within range of triggering a major breakout trade.Market players should now look for long-biased trades in BCRX if it manages to break out above some near-term overhead resistance levels at $6.88 to $6.89 a share, and then once it takes out more resistance at $7.56 to its 52-week high at $7.80 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that hits near or above its three-month average action of 2.51 million shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then BCRX will set up to enter new 52-week-high territory above $7.80, which is bullish technical price action. Some possible upside targets off that breakout are $10 to $12 a share. Traders can look to buy BCRX off weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits right below those key near-term support levels at $6.24 to $6.07 a share. One can also buy BCRX off strength once it clears those breakout levels with volume and then simply use a stop that sits a comfortable percentage from your entry point.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV