Meanwhile, Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.B) is forming the exact opposite setup right now -- and as you might guess, that's sending traders a bearish signal for the fourth quarter. Berkshire's price pattern is called a descending triangle; it's formed by downtrending resistance above shares and horizontal support to the downside at the $111 level. In this case, Berkshire is getting squeezed closer towards a breakdown below its price floor at $111.
It makes sense to sell (or short) shares on a move through that key support level.Whenever you're looking at any technical price pattern, it's critical to think in terms of buyers and sellers. Triangles, and other pattern names are a good quick way to explain what's going on in a stock, but they're not the reason it's tradable. Instead, it all comes down to supply and demand for shares. That support level at $111 is a price where there had been an excess of demand of shares; in other words, it's a place where buyers have been more eager to step in and buy shares at a lower price than sellers are to sell. That's what makes a breakdown below $111 so significant -- the move would indicate that sellers are finally strong enough to absorb all of the excess demand above that price level. That's why it makes sense to wait for that trigger before you sell.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV