First up is asset management giant BlackRock ( BLK). It shouldn't be surprising that BlackRock has posted impressive performance so far in 2013; as the world's largest asset manager, BLK is basically a leveraged bet on stock prices. But despite a 40% rally since the calendar flipped over to January, the setup in shares points to more upside into the fourth quarter.
That's because BlackRock is currently forming an ascending triangle pattern, a bullish formation that's set up by a horizontal resistance level above shares -- in this case at $290 -- and rising support to the downside. Basically, as BLK bounces between those two technical price levels, it's getting squeezed closer and closer to a breakout above that $290 price ceiling. When that happens, it's time to be a buyer.Momentum, measured by 14-day RSI, adds some extra evidence in favor of a breakout. That's because the momentum gauge has been making higher lows over the course of the pattern. Since momentum is a leading indicator of price action, it bodes well for buyers right now.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV