CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va., Oct. 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE: NOC) has been awarded a service contract for navigation systems and software to support the polar ice breakers for the U.S. Coast Guard.
The $5 million, five-year contract covers support for two Coast Guardvessels, the Polar Star and the Healy. These polar ice breakers are used to clear pathways for supply ships and support research missions. Northrop Grumman has provided comparable support for the Coast Guard's polar ice breakers since 1999.
Northrop Grumman will supply hardware configuration management, remote technical support and training classes. The company will also participate in the maintenance "grooms" performed on the two ice breakers prior to each polar deployment. This will include tuning integrated bridge system (IBS) equipment, upgrading autopilots, adjusting tolerances, improving software and replacing parts as needed for maximum system performance."For 14 years, Northrop Grumman has provided quality long-term navigation systems and support for the Coast Guard's polar ice breakers," said Bill Hannon, vice president of the company's Maritime Systems business unit. "This new support contract, which covers direct installs, field testing and personnel training, will allow us to keep ahead of the navigation and training needs for these critical vessels." Assembly of the IBS hardware and related equipment will be done in Charlottesville with installs and field testing done directly on the ships. Work will begin this month on the Polar Star and in the summer of 2014 on the Healy. Northrop Grumman is a leading global security company providing innovative systems, products and solutions in unmanned systems, cyber, C4ISR, and logistics and modernization to government and commercial customers worldwide. Please visit www.northropgrumman.com for more information. SOURCE Northrop Grumman Corporation
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV