James Dennin, Kapitall: 3D printing is moving into art and design, but will it ever find a way into the typical household?
Read more from Kapitall: 3D Printing Stocks: Taking Disruption Lessons from Apple
And yet, despite our best efforts to keep up, speculation continues to swirl. 3D printing technology, in our opinion, has the most disruption potential since the PC or, depending on how you look at it, Amazon (AMZN).Maybe it's because thinking about the future of 3D printing captures the imagination more than discussing other sectors – most of which produce products that aren't necessarily as pretty. There's even a new movement among aficionados of 3D printing who see the technology potentially democratizing great works of art. And new technology from the most established 3D printing firm – Autodesk (ADSK) - allows you to create scans for printers using photographs. That could go a long way toward making the product more accessible. Not every consumer is going to develop the kind of design skills or computer literacy needed to input schematics into the software that corresponds with 3D printers. An important part of the development of 3D printing is turning it into a consumer good, as opposed to something used by professional designers and inventors for specialized parts. Early adopters also see the potential for scanners in the realms of design and art. Scanners could let you space out and print decorations for an entire room almost at once. There are even some who believe there's a market for 3D printed, near-perfect replicas of great works of art – although it can take as many as a few hundred photographs to capture every nuance.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV