DALLAS, Oct. 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Enabling advanced contextual computing functionality in next-generation handheld consumer devices, Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today announced new MSP430™ microcontrollers (MCUs) that reduce power consumption in "always on" applications like smart phones, tablets and accessories. Developers who transfer sensor hub, keyboard control and battery/power management functionalities to MSP430F525x MCUs can create portable consumer devices that put power-hungry application processors and touch screen controllers on standby instead of draining the system's battery.
MSP430F525x MCUs feature a 1.8V split-rail I/O architecture that allows seamless interface to the application processor without needing an external level shifting circuit. Customers can now create smartphones, tablets and accessories that maintain I/O at 1.8V while operating the MCU at maximum performance. With a fast wake-up time at 3.5us and as little as 1.6uA power consumption in standby mode, these microcontrollers can extend battery life in portable consumer products from hours to days, while simultaneously reducing board space and system cost.
All of the new MSP430F525x microcontrollers include easy-to-use software and support to help designers get started quickly. The new MCUs are compatible with MSP430Ware™ software so developers can access code examples to simplify development and speed time to market. Additionally, the new MCUs are code compatible with existing MSP430 devices, enabling a broader range of scalability across TI's ultra-low-power MCU portfolio.
The new 16-bit MCUs also include additional RAM, I/O and serial interfaces to handle complex sensor algorithms, aggregation and monitoring functionalities quicker. For more information about the MSP430F525x MCUs, visit www.ti.com/52xx-pr-lp.Additional features and benefits of MSP430F525x microcontrollers:
- Include four USCI_A and four USCI_B interfaces so developers have up to eight serial interfaces (four I 2C and four SPI) for fast and robust communication to sensors or peripheral devices
- Up to 35 general-purpose I/O can be used in the 1.8V voltage rail to conserve energy by switching off power supplies to components that are not in active use
- Low-power peripherals include four 16-bit timers, a high-performance 10-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC), hardware multiplier, DMA, comparator, and real-time clock module with alarm capabilities
- Active power at 290uA/MHz in Flash and 150uA/MHz in RAM, standby mode at 1.6uA (3V) and ultra-fast wakeup at 3.5us allows developers to implement differentiated features while maintaining ultra-low power consumption
- TI's broad portfolio of MSP430 MCUs: www.ti.com/52xx-pr-hp
- Check out the MSP430 forum on the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/52xx-pr-e2e
- Make the Switch to TI MCUs: www.ti.com/maketheswitch
- Follow TI MCUs on Facebook: www.facebook.com/timicrocontrollers
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV