Written in a bold hand on a glass slide was the date and location: 10-22-38 Astoria. The copy might have been fuzzy, but it was still a copy. In fact, it was the world’s first xerographic copy.
On Oct. 22nd, 75 years ago, inventor Chester Carlson created the world's first xerographic image. (Photo: Business Wire)
This year marks the 75th anniversary of the first xerographic image, created by Chester Carlson in a rented second story room in Queens, N.Y. This humble invention would eventually lead to the formation of the Xerox Corporation (NYSE:XRX) and the birth of an industry. Even today, this xerographic process is still at the heart of most office printers and copiers around the world.
Trained as a physicist and lawyer, Carlson was a serial inventor. He kept notebooks full of a wide array of inventions including a rotating billboard, raincoat with gutters and a shoe cleaning machine.
In honor of his inquisitive nature and his remarkable invention, that truly changed how business has been conducted for decades, this October Xerox is kicking off a celebration of innovation and its role in the company’s history and future. Over the next year, Xerox people will be engaged in a series of activities celebrating and imagining the future through the company intranet, webchats and social media.“Now is the time when many companies would look back, and we certainly will, but only for a moment. The real focus of our celebration will be the future and how Xerox will continue to simplify how work gets done,” said Ursula Burns, Xerox CEO and chairman of the board. “That’s why the theme of our anniversary year is ‘The Next 75.’” Carlson’s vision at the time of his Astoria experiment was “to make office workers a little more productive and office work a little simpler and less tedious.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV