Trade-Ideas: Zale Corporation (ZLC) Is Today's "Perilous Reversal" Stock
- ZLC has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $17.3 million.
- ZLC has traded 1.1 million shares today.
- ZLC is down 3% today.
- ZLC was up 10.5% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in ZLC with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for ZLC NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on ZLC: Zale Corporation, together with its subsidiaries, operates as a specialty retailer of fine jewelry in North America. Currently there are 2 analysts that rate Zale Corporation a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold. The average volume for Zale Corporation has been 847,100 shares per day over the past 30 days. Zale has a market cap of $479.6 million and is part of the services sector and specialty retail industry. The stock has a beta of 2.38 and a short float of 8.9% with 2.32 days to cover. Shares are up 258.9% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Zale Corporation as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income and revenue growth. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company has favored debt over equity in the management of its balance sheet. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- ZALE CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, ZALE CORP turned its bottom line around by earning $0.02 versus -$0.96 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.46 versus $0.02).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Specialty Retail industry. The net income increased by 59.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$19.75 million to -$7.98 million.
- The gross profit margin for ZALE CORP is rather high; currently it is at 53.13%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -1.91% trails the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. In comparison to the other companies in the Specialty Retail industry and the overall market, ZALE CORP's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 2.22 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. Along with this, the company manages to maintain a quick ratio of 0.06, which clearly demonstrates the inability to cover short-term cash needs.
- You can view the full Zale Corporation Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts