Pennsylvania American Water is encouraging customers to protect themselves and the environment by disposing of unused medications at local collection sites on Saturday, October 26, 2013, as part of National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day. The program, coordinated by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), gives the public another opportunity to prevent pill abuse and theft by ridding their homes of potentially dangerous expired, unused, and unwanted prescription drugs.
“We urge people to take advantage of the drug take-back events, because they prevent pharmaceutical products from being flushed down the toilet or thrown in the trash,” said Paul A. Zielinski, senior director of water quality and environmental compliance, Pennsylvania American Water. “Both of those options pose potential hazards to our environment.”
Prescription drugs collected at the free take-back events are disposed of in an environmentally safe manner, keeping the medications out of local landfills and watersheds. Removing drugs from the home also helps prevent pill theft and abuse.
To find a nearby collection site, visit www.dea.gov and click on the “Got Drugs: National Prescription Take-Back Day” banner. Medications should be kept in their original containers with labels intact.Pennsylvania American Water, a subsidiary of American Water (NYSE: AWK), is the largest water utility in the state, providing high-quality and reliable water and/or wastewater services to approximately 2.2 million people. Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Voorhees, N.J., the company employs approximately 6,700 dedicated professionals who provide drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 14 million people in more than 30 states and parts of Canada. More information can be found by visiting www.amwater.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV