Among other large regional lenders, two stand out with stronger third-quarter loan growth. However, the comparisons are not necessarily fair, considering their differing geographic footprints.
"BB&T posted solid results in a challenging environment this quarter," said CEO Kelly King in the company's earnings release. "Our 7% [year-over-year] growth in adjusted earnings was driven by a substantial improvement in credit quality to the best levels in almost six years," he said.King said that BB&T was "pleased to achieve 3% [annualized] loan growth in a sluggish economic environment," and added that "While average total deposits were lower this quarter, noninterest-bearing deposits grew 8% annualized consistent with our mix improvement goals." BB&T's coveted noninterest bearing deposits totaled $34.846 billion as of Sept .30 and made up 27% of total deposits as of Sept. 30, increasing from 24% a year earlier. Jefferies analyst Ken Usdin, in a note to clients following the earnings release, called BB&T's third-quarter results "a bit soft," and predicted Thursday's market reaction would "be dictated by [management's] commentary on the expense trajectory" during the earnings conference call with analysts," which started at 8 a.m. EDT. Usdin wrote that BB&T's "affiliate restructuring, along with lower future mortgage-related and regulatory costs, should provide a path for additional improvement over the next few quarters." He rates BB&T a "hold," with a price target of $36.00. BB&T's shares were down 1% in premarket trading to $33.92. BBT data by YCharts
Interested in more on BB&T? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV