NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Verizon (VZ) reported strong third-quarter earnings Thursday of 77 cents a share on revenue of $30.3 billion. The big takeaway, as usual, was the number of Apple (AAPL) iPhones activated during the quarter, and it was a lot.
Analyst Walter Piecyk from BTIG noted that Verizon activated 3.89 million iPhones during the quarter, up 25% from last year.
The iPhone continues as Verizon's most popular smartphone, accounting for just slightly more than 50% of contract activations during the quarter. During the quarter, Verizon added 1.1 million net retail connections, including 927,000 net retail postpaid connections, with a postpaid churn of 0.97%. During the quarter, Apple announced the new iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c, which have performed exceptionally well. In the phones' opening weekend, Apple announced it sold more than 9 million new iPhones and raised fiscal fourth-quarter guidance as a result. We'll get the full iPhone numbers when Apple reports on Oct. 28 after the bell. Analysts are expecting Apple to report earnings of $7.88 a share on revenue of $36.76 billion, according to those surveyed by Thomson Reuters. Shares of Verizon jumped in pre-market trading Thursday, gaining 2.9% to $48.61, while Apple was slightly higher, trading at $501.18. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV