CHICAGO, Oct. 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- What can be a deal breaker for landing a new job or finding the right candidate? What do employers expect from candidates and vice versa? A new study from CareerBuilder answers these questions and more, providing unique insights for both job candidates and the employers who want to hire them.
The survey, which included 5,518 job seekers and 2,775 hiring managers, was conducted online within the U.S. and Canada by Inavero on behalf of CareerBuilder and completed in July 2013.
"There can sometimes be a disconnect between what employers and job seekers expect in the hiring process," said Rosemary Haefner, vice president of Human Resources at CareerBuilder. "Our study evaluates how different perceptions and behaviors have evolved among these two groups, and what can help or hinder the recruitment and job search experience."
Lessons for Job SeekersBe ready to speak with the top brass. Prepare for every job interview as if you'll be speaking with the CEO or other senior leader, because that may very well be the reality for some workers.
- 38 percent of employers reported that job candidates are required to interview with a C-level executive within their organization (CEO, CFO, COO, etc.).
- 48 percent of employers will use Google or other search engines to research candidates.
- 44 percent will research the candidate on Facebook.
- 27 percent will monitor the candidate's activity on Twitter.
- 23 percent will review the candidate's posts or comments on Yelp.com, Glassdoor.com or other rating sites.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV