WASHINGTON, Oct. 16, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- This month's CoStar Commercial Repeat Sale Indices (CCRSI) provide the market's first look at August 2013 commercial real estate pricing. Based on 1,261 repeat sales in August 2013 and more than 125,000 repeat sales since 1996, the CCRSI offers the broadest measure of commercial real estate repeat sales activity.
August 2013 CCRSI National Results Highlights
- PRICING GROWTH FOR COMMERCIAL PROPERTY SLOWED IN AUGUST AMID ANXIETY OVER FED'S TAPERING OF BOND PURCHASES AND RISE IN INTEREST RATES: The two broadest measures of aggregate pricing for commercial properties within the CCRSI—the value-weighted and the equal-weighted versions of the U.S. Composite Index—saw mixed movements for the month. The equal-weighted index, which reflects the pricing impact of more numerous smaller transactions, edged downward by 1.1% in August, while the value-weighted index, which is influenced by larger transactions, expanded by 1.6% during the same time period. On an annual basis, both indices advanced by nearly 10%. Despite investor reassurance following the Fed's decision in September to delay the tapering of its quantitative easing policies, further economic uncertainty, largely stemming from the U.S. government shutdown and debt ceiling debate, may lead to further volatility in pricing in the near term.
- POSITIVE ABSORPTION IN BOTH INVESTMENT GRADE AND GENERAL COMMERCIAL SEGMENTS SUPPORTS BROAD PRICING RECOVERY: Net absorption of available space across the three major commercial property types – office, retail and warehouse – continues to improve. For the first three quarters of 2013 net absorption among these three property types totaled more than 240 million square feet, the highest level for the first three quarters of a year since 2008. Core CBD office markets, including New York, San Francisco and Houston, and large distribution markets such as Dallas and Chicago, have led absorption in the Investment Grade segment, as reflected by the faster pricing growth in this index since 2009. More recently though, the General Commercial segment has made strong gains in absorption as well, indicating a broader and more sustained commercial real estate recovery. In the office market, for example, nearly 90% of total net absorption over the last year was in suburban submarkets. Pricing in the General Commercial Index rose by 3.7% in the last quarter, compared with growth of 0.1% in the Investment Grade Index.
- TRANSACTION VOLUME REMAINS STEADY: The number of repeat sale transactions through August 2013 increased 15% from the same period one year ago, while the value of those transactions increased 17%. The percentage of commercial property selling at distressed prices remains near a four-and-a-half year low.
Monthly CCRSI Results, Data through August of 2013
|1 Month Earlier||1 Quarter Earlier||1 Year Earlier||Trough to Current|
|Value-Weighted U.S. Composite Index||1.6%||2.4%||9.0%||47.5% 1|
|Equal-Weighted U.S. Composite Index||-1.1%||3.0%||10.0%||15.7% 2|
|U.S. Investment Grade Index||-1.0%||0.1%||10.8%||28.2% 3|
|U.S. General Commercial Index||-1.2%||3.7%||9.8%||14.1% 4|
|1 Trough Date: January, 2010 2 Trough Date: March, 2011 3 Trough Date: October, 2009 4 Trough Date: March, 2011|
|Net Absorption (in millions of square feet)|
|Note: "Net Absorption" is the change in occupied space, calculated based on three types of properties: office, retail, and industrial.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV