Chris Lau, Kapitall: Solar stocks rise and fall with the markets. But can investing in solar add a little shine to your portfolio?
Given the massive ups and downs in solar energy stocks over the last few years, it is hard for investors to believe things may be different this time. The solar energy sector previously looked to be in an unsustainable bubble.
[Read more from Kapitall about investing in solar: Should Value Investors Warm Up to These Solar Stocks?]
But generous and abundant subsidies, high demand, and high margins invited firms to supply more. When prices dropped for solar panels, weak players filed for bankruptcy and the lower supply helped stabilize the industry.In the US, solar power generation is becoming a more significant source of energy. Coal and natural gas sources now need to compete with solar power, which may help explain why utility stocks are poor performers this year. Investing ideas SolarCity ( SCTY ) is on a tear. Shares rose 25% on the week, closing recently at $47.18 and not far from a high of $52.77 reached in May of this year. The company’s latest forecast is only slightly better than previous expectations, so should investors be considering SolarCity now or waiting for a pullback? Only Trina Solar ( TSL ) is outshining SolarCity in the short-term. In the one year period, Trina and SolarCity are up more than two-fold: Click on the interactive chart to see data over time. Trina may be up because the Chinese government is giving a 50% value-added tax rebate to solar manufacturers for the next two years. China is also imposing a tariff of just 6.5% for most of the polysilicon suppliers coming from the US. The lighter tariff suggests that trade between the US and China will not be hurt as badly as previously thought.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV