BEDMINSTER, N.J. and DUBLIN, Ireland, Oct. 16, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Amarin Corporation plc (Nasdaq:AMRN), a biopharmaceutical company focused on the commercialization and development of therapeutics to improve cardiovascular health, announced today that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Endocrinologic and Metabolic Drugs Advisory Committee has voted 9 to 2 against approval of Vascepa ® (icosapent ethyl) capsules for use as an adjunct to diet and exercise and in combination with a statin in the treatment of adult patients with high triglycerides (TG 200-499 mg/dL) with mixed dyslipidemia and coronary heart disease (CHD) or a CHD risk equivalent (the ANCHOR indication) based on the information presented at the committee meeting today.
The FDA is scheduled to make its decision on whether to approve the ANCHOR Supplemental New Drug Application (sNDA) on the December 20, 2013 Prescription Drug User Fee Act (PDUFA) goal date for the application.
Vascepa is currently approved by the FDA for use as an adjunct to diet to reduce triglyceride levels in adult patients with severe ( ≥ 500 mg/dL) hypertriglyceridemia.Conference call today As planned, members of the Amarin management team will host a webcast and conference call to discuss the Advisory Committee recommendation today at 7:00 p.m. ET. The conference call can be heard live via the investor relations section of the company's website at www.amarincorp.com , or via telephone by dialing 877-407-8033 within the United States or 201-689-8033 from outside the United States. A replay of the call will be made available for a period of two weeks following the conference call. To hear a replay of the call, dial 877-660-6853 (inside the United States) or 201-612-7415 (outside the United States). A replay of the call will also be available through the company's website shortly after the call. For both dial-in numbers please use conference ID 100205. About Vascepa ® (icosapent ethyl) capsules Vascepa ® (icosapent ethyl) capsules, known in scientific literature as AMR101, is a patented, pure-EPA omega-3 prescription product in a 1 gram capsule. Indications and Usage
- Vascepa (icosapent ethyl) is indicated as an adjunct to diet to reduce triglyceride (TG) levels in adult patients with severe ( ≥ 500 mg/dL) hypertriglyceridemia.
- The effect of Vascepa on the risk for pancreatitis and cardiovascular mortality and morbidity in patients with severe hypertriglyceridemia has not been determined.
- Vascepa is contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity (e.g., anaphylactic reaction) to Vascepa or any of its components and should be used with caution in patients with known hypersensitivity to fish and/or shellfish.
- The most common reported adverse reaction (incidence > 2% and greater than placebo) was arthralgia (2.3% for Vascepa, 1.0% for placebo).
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts