Select Comfort Corporation (NASDAQ: SCSS) today reported third-quarter 2013 results for the period ended Sept. 28, 2013.
Third-quarter Financial Summary
- Net sales increased 7% to $264 million, compared to $247 million in the third quarter of 2012.
- Company-controlled comparable sales declined 1% year-over-year.
- Operating income was $30.7 million, compared with $40.2 million in the third quarter of 2012. As a percentage of net sales, operating income was 11.6% compared to 16.3% in the third quarter of 2012.
- Earnings per diluted share were $0.36, compared to $0.46 in the third quarter of 2012.
- In the quarter, the company opened 16 stores and closed six, ending the quarter with 423 stores.
“The consumer responded positively to our product innovations and exclusive retail experience as evidenced by market-share gains along with favorable operational and customer-focused metrics,” said Shelly Ibach, president and CEO, Select Comfort. “However, our execution was muted by a progressively more challenged macro-economic environment, resulting in performance below expectations.”
Ibach continued, “Given the ongoing economic uncertainty, we are actively managing costs across the company, while continuing to support priorities important to long-term growth and profitability.”Cash flows from operating activities were $90 million for the first nine months of 2013, compared with $98 million in the prior year. Capital expenditures for the first nine months of 2013 increased to $57.8 million as compared to $36.8 million in 2012, driven by increased investment in stores, technology and product innovation. During the third quarter, the company repurchased 0.4 million shares of its common stock for a total cost of $10 million. As of the end of the quarter, cash, cash equivalents and marketable-debt securities totaled $164 million, and the company had no borrowings under its revolving credit facility.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV