RLI Corp. (NYSE: RLI) – RLI Corp. reported third quarter 2013 operating earnings of $30.5 million ($1.40 per share), compared to $21.9 million ($1.02 per share) for the third quarter of 2012. For the nine months ended September 30, 2013, operating earnings were $80.4 million ($3.71 per share) compared to $67.7 million ($3.15 per share) for the same period in 2012.
|Earnings Per Diluted Share||2013||2012|
|Operating earnings (1)||$1.40||$1.02|
|(1) See discussion of non-GAAP financial measures on page 2.|
Highlights for the quarter included:
- 3% growth in gross premiums written and 7% growth in net premiums written.
- Underwriting income of $31.8 million, resulting in a combined ratio of 80.5.
- $19.7 million net increase in underwriting income resulting from favorable development on prior years’ loss reserves.
- Net operating cash flow of $55.0 million.
- Book value per share of $39.85, an increase of 6% from year end 2012.
“Our strong performance in the quarter demonstrates the effectiveness of our underwriting discipline,” said RLI Corp. Chairman & CEO Jonathan E. Michael. “As in recent quarters, our casualty segment drove growth as we continued to benefit from higher rates and newer product initiatives.”
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts